Applicants must pass all Grade 8 and 9 core subjects (English, Social Studies, Math, Science, P.E., and a second language), and maintain a minimum C+ average across the six subjects (this requirement is in place because TREK involves an intensified academic curriculum, in order to make time for outdoor adventures).
Applicants must meet the Grade 9 standard for physical fitness (this requirement is in place because physical exertion is part of all TREK trips, and a lack of physical fitness can place an individual or an entire group at risk). As a measure, applicants must be able to run 2.4 km (6 times around a standard track) in under 14 minutes.
Applicants must be committed to creating a social environment that supports respect and responsibility. This requirement is in place because a lack of respect or responsibility can create safety concerns during TREK trips (students must be able to listen and respond to all reasonable instructions). As a measure of respect and responsibility, students must receive generally positive comments on two confidential Letters of Reference (one from a secondary school teacher, and one from an adult member of the community).
Procedures and timeline
1. Information Meetings
Wednesday, November 7, 2019 at 7:00pm
Prince of Wales Secondary School Auditorium
2250 Eddington Drive
Thursday, November 8, 2019 at 7:00pm
Gladstone Secondary School Staffroom
4105 Gladstone Street
Note: you can pick up all necessary forms at either of these meetings.
2. Interview Sign-up
November 9, 2018 to January 28, 2019
After the information meetings, interested students must schedule an interview. Contact Prince of Wales Secondary School - Main Office (NOT the TREK Office), in person or by phone (604-713-8974)
Note: all interested students will receive an interview.
3. STUDENT INTERVIEWS (1.5 hrs in duration)
Interviews will take place on the following days and times:
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30 am; 1:00pm; or 3:30 pm
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30 am; 1:00pm; or 3:30 pm
Thursday, January 31, 2019 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30am; 1:00 pm or 3:30 pm
Please bring the following to the student interview:
1. Completed Application Form
2. Proof of address - a photocopy of any 2 of the following: property tax notice, rental agreement, phone bill, hydro bill, gas bill, bank statement, driver's license.
3. Copy of Grade 8 Report Card (Final) including teacher comments.
4. Copy of Grade 9 Report Card (1st term) including teacher comments.
5. 2 completed Reference Letter Forms (in sealed envelopes.
Note #1: all documents must be submitted to be considered for the draw.
Note #2: applicants must be wearing their PE strip and running shoes for
If there is a serious injury or sickness please bring me a note. A makeup run will need to occur.
What happens during the student interview?
These are group interviews (approx. 25 students & 2 teachers per interview)
Collection of forms
Orientation to the TREK Program
In-class writing exercise
The TREK challenge (an initiative task)
A timed 2.4km run
4. Random Draw
The TREK Program receives more applications than the 112 spaces that are available each year. Therefore, following the interview process, all applications that meet the minimum requirements are placed in a random draw. This draw is performed in early February by the administration of Prince of Wales Secondary School. We do not recruit or pre-select students. A subsequent draw will be performed if any applications are withdrawn prior to commencement of the program. If this occurs, the successful applicant will be notified immediately.
5. Notification of acceptance
Mailed out: Mid to Late February 2019
All applicants (both successful and unsuccessful) will be notified. No phone calls please.
6. Confirmation of Acceptance
Successful applicants must submit the following by March 8, 2019
1. Contact Information Form (sent with acceptance package)
2. Student Enrolment Record Form (sent with acceptance package)
3. Course Selection Form (sent with acceptance package)
4. $50 non-refundable deposit
7. Summer submissions
Successful applicants must submit the following by Friday, August 23, 2019
Due to school summer closures, items should be mailed to the main school office (Attn: TREK Program).
1. Copy of final Grade 9 report card including teacher comments.
2. Medical Form, including completed tetanus inoculation and BC Carecard sections of the form (given out during the June parent meeting).
3. Acknowledgement of Risk and Informed Consent Form (given out during the June parent meeting).
4. $200 post dated "refundable" cheque for gear deposit (post dated for June 13, 2019 - made out to TREK program, Prince of Wales).
Tuition will be paid using School Cash Online in September.