1. Information Meetings
Nov 7th, 2017 @ 7:00pm
Prince of Wales Secondary, 2250 Eddington Drive
Nov 8th, 2017 @ 7:00pm
Gladstone Secondary, 4105 Gladstone Street
Note: you can pick up all necessary forms at either of these meetings.
2. Interview Sign-up
Friday, November 10th, 2017 – Friday, January 26, 2018
After the information meetings, interested students must schedule an interview. Contact Prince of Wales Secondary School - Main Office (NOT the TREK Office), in person or by phone (604-713-8974)
Note: all interested students will receive an interview.
3. STUDENT INTERVIEWS (1.5 hrs in duration)
Interviews will take place on the following days and times:
Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30 am; 1:00pm; or 3:30 pm
Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30 am; 1:00pm; or 3:30 pm
Thursday, February 1, 2018 Start times: 9:00am; 10:30am; 1:00 pm or 3:30 pm
Please bring the following to the student interview:
1. completed Application Form
2. proof of address - a photocopy of any 2 of the following: property tax notice, rental agreement, phone bill, hydro bill, gas bill, bank statement, driver's license.
3. photocopy of Grade 8 Report Card (Final) including teacher comments
4. photocopy of Grade 9 Report Card (1st term) including teacher comments
5. 2 completed Reference Letter Forms (in sealed envelopes.
Note #1: all documents must be submitted to be considered for the draw.
Note #2: applicants must be wearing their PE strip and running shoes for
If there is a serious injury or sickness please bring me a note. A makeup run will need to occur.
What happens during the student interview?
These are group interviews (approx. 25 students & 2 teachers per interview)
1. Collection of forms; 2. orientation to the TREK Program; 3. in-class writing exercise; 4. the TREK challenge (an initiative task); 5. a timed 2.4km run.
4. Random Draw
The TREK Program receives more applications than the 112 spaces that are available each year. Therefore, following the interview process, all applications that meet the minimum requirements are placed in a random draw. This draw is performed in early February by the administration of Prince of Wales Secondary School. We do not recruit or pre-select students. A subsequent draw will be performed if any applications are withdrawn prior to commencement of the program. If this occurs, the successful applicant will be notified immediately.
5. Notification of acceptance
Mailed out: Friday, February 16, 2018
All applicants (both successful and unsuccessful) will be notified. No phone calls please.
6. Confirmation of Acceptance
Successful applicants must submit the following by Friday, March 9, 2018
1. Contact Information Form (sent with acceptance package)
2. Student Enrolment Record Form (sent with acceptance package)
3. Course Selection Form (sent with acceptance package)
4. $50 non-refundable deposit
7. Summer submissions
Successful applicants must submit the following by Friday, August 24, 2018
Due to school summer closures Items must be mailed to, the main school office (attn: TREK Program).
1. Photocopy of final Grade 9 report card including teacher comments
2. Medical Form, including completed tetanus inoculation and BC Carecard sections of the form (given out during the June parent meeting).
3. Acknowledgement of Risk and Informed Consent Form (given out during the June parent meeting).
Tuition will be paid using School Online in September: